Broken Summer

She is slim and tanned, and he is tall,
And I am yet unopened.
Something lies unspoken
Here between us,
You my brother, she my sister.
Breezes blow through grass, reeds sway and bend
Along the winding margins;
Three are laughing,
Hot the sun and cool the mud,
We flash like otters
Splash the water,
Diving down to sink
Into the green and silent dreaming
Without breathing.
Now we're climbing,
Turtles perched on rocks
With drying shells,
And we are warm
And fighting sleeping.
Something is untwining
Here between us,
You my sister – he my brother,
Eyes of brown and eyes of blue.
And I remember now
But even then, I knew.

Then he is stretching,
She is yawning
And the world is orange;
I am tired and he is holding me
Against his shoulder.
She is leading, night is falling
I must close my eyes
Against the silver
Of the moon
And shiver.
Something dark is rising just beyond us,
Oh my sister, oh my brother,
I remember now
But even then, I knew:

Three minus one
Leaves two.